At PLOS we are committed to addressing the needs of all research communities to improve diversity, equity and inclusion. One of the…
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI)
Truly Open Science requires direct action to ensure diversity, equity and inclusion.
- In 2021 we will develop methods and metrics to understand the diversity of PLOS’ 10,000 journal editorial board members, conscious of regional privacy laws and cultures.
- With the baseline created by the above activity, we will improve diversity on our editorial boards in 2022.
- In 2022 we will formulate recommendations for expanding diversity assessment and improvement efforts to other contributor groups based on 2021 research and pilots.
- In 2021 we will accurately and ethically capture data related to hiring, retention and progression of employees at PLOS disaggregated by identity group. We commit to publishing reliable leadership team data.
- In 2021 we will ensure that every leadership team vacancy includes final candidates historically underrepresented in leadership, particularly Black, Latinx, Indigenous and transgender people.
- In 2021 we will actively expand our globally distributed workforce, looking for candidates to broaden physical locations and expertise, and help us form meaningful connections with researchers around the world.
- In 2021 we will continue to increase awareness, self-examination and development of behaviors among staff that promote diversity, equity and inclusion.
- In 2021 we will further develop staff effectiveness in applying tools gained from prior year training programs: Courageous Conversation Agreements; Strategies for Bias Reduction; Strategies for Responding to Bias; Tools for Self Awareness, and Leadership Power Dynamics.
- In 2021 we will improve our understanding of these issues and minimize our own biases, and will work with our Academic Editors and peer reviewers to address any form of bias against authors or their origin in the handling of submitted manuscripts.
- We will not publish research intended to directly support oppression or persecution.
- We will continue to uphold especially high editorial standards regarding research about minorities or other affected populations, and we will award credit to contributors from these communities as appropriate.
- We will create a Collection to gather research published in PLOS journals into one place.
We’re committed to equal opportunity
We believe in pushing the boundaries of ‘Open’ to create a more equitable system of scientific knowledge and understanding – it’s core to who we are, inside and out. Beyond accepting distinct perspectives, we seek and support divergent backgrounds among our staff because we know differences strengthen our teams, our work, and our communities. We’re ever-evolving in our journey for representation and equity, and strongly encourage applicants of diverse identities to apply: you’ll find a group of critical thinkers eager to challenge the status quo and learn with you as we continue breaking barriers to open science.
Please visit our Careers page.